13th August 2022
Mobile World Congress (MWC)
Barcelona News Business Catalonia News Madrid News Main News Telecoms & Technology

No Russian pavilion at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, opening Monday

Click here for all our reports related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The organisers of the Mobile World Congress (MWC), the world’s biggest telecoms fair due to be held in Barcelona from 28 February until 3 March, have said there will not be a Russian pavilion this year due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The GSMA industry association which stages the annual event said in a statement that it ‘energetically condemns Russia’s invasion of Ukraine’.

The company led by John Hoffman said that ‘GSMA complies with all sanctions and governmental policies’ stemming from Russia’s attack on Ukraine.

‘In light of this emerging situation and considering the tragic loss of life, MWC seems immaterial under the circumstances,’ a statement added.

‘The GSMA is complying with all sanctions and government policies resulting from this situation. Therefore, there will be no Russian pavilion at MWC22.’

Around 12 Russian firms were set to be part of the Russian pavilion at the four-day event which gets underway on Monday in Barcelona. The firms can still participate but they will not be grouped together in their own pavilion.

Organisers expect 40,000 to 60,000 people will attend the event, which will feature more than 1,500 exhibitors from 150 countries. The show, a key event for showcasing new technologies, had been cancelled at the last minute in 2020 after multiple companies withdrew as the Covid-19 pandemic took hold.

Last year, the congress did take place although it was in June instead of February and included a mixture of in-person and online events, drawing just 20,000 visitors compared with 100,000 in normal times.

ALSO READ: Iberia, British Airways stop flights to Russia & re-route to avoid its airspace

ALSO READ: EU peace ‘shattered’, Spain condemns ‘intolerable invasion’ of Ukraine

Sign up for the FREE Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.

Please support Spain in English with a donation.

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

Click here for further details on how to ADVERTISE with us.

Recent Posts

Drought in Spain and across Europe could be the ‘worst in 500 years’

News Desk

Spain has evacuated 294 more Afghan workers and families, now 3,900 in total

News Desk

‘Final heatwave’ of the summer coincides with air-con restrictions in Spain

News Desk

Spanish police start wearing body cameras to help security

News Desk

Spain’s weather agency confirms July was hottest month on record, for over 60 years

News Desk

Theft of 600 metres of fibre optic cable halts Spain’s high-speed AVE train service for 5 hours

News Desk

1 comment

John Recep 28th February 2022 at 10:42 am

Will Israel be allowed to participate?

Reply

Leave a Comment