3rd April 2020
No es no
Barcelona News Catalonia News Madrid News Main News

Court gives 15-year sentence in gang rape case

Three men were sentenced to up to 15 years in jail for gang rape, a Spanish court said Wednesday, in a case reminiscent of a 2016 assault which caused national outrage.

In March 2015, a 29-year-old man – identified by the court with his first name Ricardo – took the victim, then aged 18, to his flat in Collado-Villalba near Madrid with two other men.

Ricardo, who had previously had ‘some type of sexual relationship’ with the victim, forced her to give him a blow job.

She was then forced to do the same to his two friends, all of whom ‘knew she didn’t want to’.

The court, which said the victim suffered from anxiety and depression after the event, sentenced Ricardo and another man, Martin, to 15 years in jail, and the other friend Miguel Angel to 14 years.

The case is reminiscent of the 2016 ‘La Manada’ (‘Wolf pack’) case that saw five men accused of gang-raping a teenager at Pamplona’s famed bull-running festival.

No es no
A sign reading “No means no” in Pamplona on 10 May 2018 during a protest against the acquittal of five men accused of gang raping an 18-year-old woman. (Ander Gillenea / AFP)

They videoed it on their smartphones and bragged about it within their WhatsApp group, calling themselves ‘The Pack’.

Last year, they were convicted of sexually abusing, rather than raping the victim, and sentenced to nine years in jail, causing outrage.

ALSO READ: Four arrested over New Year sex assault. 

The decision sparked massive demonstrations in what became Spain’s equivalent of the #MeToo campaign, with victims lambasting a ‘patriarchal’ judiciary derided as too tolerant of widespread sexual violence.

Related posts

Junqueras MEP immunity hearing set for 14 Oct

Newsdesk / ACN

656 municipalities ordered to remove Franco symbols

SiE Newsdesk / AFP / Agencies

CCCB joins global short film festival event

Hannah Pennell

Refugees reach Barcelona

Catalan News ACN

Spain to keep investing in Cuba, says PM

AFP

Ryanair strike: 400 flights cancelled across Europe

AFP

Leave a Comment