21st January 2021
Valencian president Ximo Puig
Main News Valencia News

Valencia warns of ‘tough action’ against New Year’s Eve parties that don’t respect restrictions

Latest: Coronavirus in Spain figures (11 Jan)

The Valencian region has reached a new record number of daily Covid-19 deaths and recorded the highest daily number of new infections since the pandemic began. These new milestones come as the first cases of the new ‘British’ strain of Coronavirus are confirmed in the region and cases in care homes continue to rise.

On Wednesday, there were 70 deaths from Covid-19 reported, the highest number since the start of the pandemic, while on Tuesday there were 3,590 new infections, also a new record since the start of the pandemic.

The first two cases of the new Covid-19 variant linked to the UK were detected at Elche hospital on Tuesday. Both cases were Spanish nationals, one of whom had been to the UK recently. A further three cases were reported on Wednesday in Valencia and it seems the cases are related to people living in the UK who came to the Valencia region for the festive period.

Also read: Valencia Region tightens its Covid-19 restrictions from 21 Dec until 15 Jan

Valencian president Ximo Puig
Valencian president Ximo Puig meeting with security officials on 30 December 2020. (GVA.es)

Against this background, the Valencian government has reminded citizens that New Year’s Eve parties are banned, whatever time they were planned for. This comes following concern that people will gather together during the afternoon of 31 December to be home before the curfew. Valencian president Ximo Puig said there would be ‘tough action’ taken against New Year’s Eve parties which do not respect the current restrictions. He added: ‘There will be no New Year’s Eve nor will there be New Year’s Afternoon.’

He reemphasised that it is fundamental to ‘be aware of the situation we are living in’, otherwise ‘sooner rather than later it will be necessary to bring in new restrictions affecting lives and the economy.’

He added that ‘the large majority of people know what we are risking’, called for ‘co-responsibility’ and told people that ‘we must remove any thoughts that this is a normal New Year’s Eve. It absolutely is not’.

Also read: Valencia in English (27 Dec)

Police forces and the Guardia Civil will reinforce the regional perimeter border and checks on compliance with sanitary measures, although there is worry that private gatherings will take place in rural houses which the authorities cannot control.

In a last-minute move on Wednesday afternoon, the government banned all performances by disc jockeys on New Year’s Eve.

The curfew from 21 December to 15 January is from 11pm to 6am except on 31 December when it is extended to midnight. All public and private gatherings are limited to six people.

Click here for all our reports on: Coronavirus in Spain

Click here for all our reports from the Valencia Region

Sign up for the FREE Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English

Please support Spain in English with a donation.

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY

Related posts

Jailed Catalan leaders halt hunger strike

SiE Newsdesk / AFP / Agencies

‘Important opportunity lost’ as climate conference concludes in Madrid

News Desk

Puigdemont, Comín, Ponsatí can stand in EU elections

Newsdesk / ACN

Greenpeace, Oxfam launch lawsuit against Spanish government

News Desk

Oriol Junqueras should be allowed to be MEP, states EU Advocate General

News Desk

CDRs fail to block Sants station in Barcelona, but protests continue outside

News Desk

Leave a Comment