19th April 2024
Barcelona News Catalonia News Madrid News Main News

Spanish director Carlos Vermut accused of sexual violence by three more women

Spanish media reported on Tuesday that three more women have come forward to accuse Spanish film director Carlos Vermut of sexual violence. This brings the total number to six within the past month.

The latest allegations against independent filmmaker Vermut were disclosed by El País, the paper that initially broke the story at the end of January, presenting testimonies from three women who asserted that he had subjected them to sexual violence. ALSO READ: Spanish film director denies accusations of sexual violence by three women.

The new alleged victims, all from the cultural sector, had varying degrees of relationship with the 43-year-old director, who gained recognition with two top prizes at the 2014 San Sebastian film festival for his second feature, Magical Girl

Despite being regarded as a rising star within Spain’s independent film scene, Vermut, whose real name is Carlos López del Rey, has consistently denied any wrongdoing in numerous interviews with El País.

The recent incidents, reportedly occurring between October 2012 and the beginning of January this year, allegedly involved Vermut coercing the women into engaging in sexual activities they had not consented to.

‘The sex was very rough, he really hurt me,’ one told the newspaper, saying he had forced her to have anal sex, causing ‘tearing’.

Another spoke about sex involving ‘beatings, choking and verbal humiliation’, describing it as ‘not a game, nor a non-conventional practice, but violence for violence’s sake’.

The third, an actress who began a relationship with him in March 2023 which lasted until January, spoke of two episodes of enforced sexual violence after months of psychological abuse.

As with the first three, these latest victims also asked to remain anonymous and none of them filed a police complaint for fear of not being believed, the paper said.

Vermut did not provide comment in response to El País’ latest inquiry. Previously, he denied the allegations in three separate interviews, saying he was not ‘aware of having exercised sexual violence against any woman’.

‘I have always practised rough sex in a consensual manner,’ he said.

The revelations shook Spanish cinema which appears to be only lately feeling the effects of the #Metoo movement which emerged in 2017 and saw a string of major figures from the world of cinema accused of sexual violence.

Several testimonies also emerged about another less-known director, Armando Ravelo, with one female artist saying he offered to give her drugs and show her porn when she was 14.

In mid-February, Spain’s culture ministry said it would set up a unit to tackle abuse allegations within the sector.

Last summer, Spanish football was rocked by a scandal when the now disgraced football chief Luis Rubiales forcibly kissed Women’s World Cup star Jenni Hermoso. Banned by FIFA for three years, he’s now facing trial on charges of sexual assault and coercion. ALSO READ: Luis Rubiales to face trial for kissing Jenni Hermoso at Women’s World Cup.

Also this month, a Barcelona court jailed former Brazil star Dani Alves for four years and six months for raping a young woman at a nightclub in the city. ALSO READ: Dani Alves sentenced to 4.5 years, after being found guilty of rape.

Sign up for the FREE Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.

Please support Spain in English with a donation.

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

Click here for further details on how to ADVERTISE with us.

 

Recent Posts

Barcelona to install floating desalination plant to help fight drought

News Desk

Two people smugglers sentenced to 9 years each in Spain over migrant deaths

News Desk

Real Madrid star Bellingham is ‘used to horrible, serious problem’ of racist abuse in Spain

News Desk

Yet another racist incident as Mallorca fan makes monkey gestures at Real Madrid game

News Desk

As temperatures rise in Spain, the first wildfire of the year burns over 500 hectares

News Desk

Spain and the UK make ‘significant progress’ in Gibraltar talks

News Desk

Leave a Comment