Suspected murderers, sex offenders and drugs traffickers are among just 11 fugitives left on the run in a campaign that has seen 84 offenders already caught across Europe, as part of the Operation Captura campaign.
Today, the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) and the charity Crimestoppers are urging the public to help catch the last fugitives who have escaped justice.
All of them have connections to Spain but may have moved around over the years and will be using false identities. Their details have now been re-released as millions of Brits are enjoying their summer holidays abroad.
‘As my fellow Britons know, the success of Crimestoppers, whether in the UK or Spain, is all about the active support of ordinary people for the work of the police, so I would like to appeal to British residents and holidaymakers in Spain to be on the lookout this summer for these 11 fugitives from British justice. Your information, given anonymously, can put these criminals back where they belong: behind bars in the UK,’ said British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley.
The 11 fugitives include Sarah Panitzke. Panitzke, 45, from Fulford, near York, is wanted by HMRC and is accused of laundering approximately £1bn for a crime group involved in VAT fraud.
To carry out the alleged frauds, she travelled extensively to places including Dubai, Spain and Andorra. She absconded in May 2013 before her trial finished.
Panitzke has a Yorkshire accent and is about 5ft 5in tall. Eighteen members of her crime group received sentences totalling 135 years.
Also on the list is alleged murderer Allan Foster, 43, who has been on the run since May 2006 when David Rice was shot dead as he sat in his car in South Shields, Tyne and Wear.
The NCA works closely with Crimestoppers, the Spanish authorities, UK law enforcement agencies and the British Embassy in Madrid as part of the Operation Captura campaign.
84 fugitives have been returned to the UK out of 96 publicised cases. One case has been dropped.
In June, Christopher Guest More Jr, 41, became the latest fugitive to be arrested and returned to the UK after being on the run for 16 years.
Andy Cooke-Welling, of the NCA’s International Crime Bureau, said: ‘Operation Captura has been a resounding success.
‘But we are still hunting the remaining fugitives on our list and will not stop.
‘We urge holidaymakers and expats in Spain and elsewhere across Europe to keep their eyes and ears open this summer.
‘There may also be people in the UK with vital information on their whereabouts, and we would urge them to get in touch. Having the public’s attention focused on them makes it so much harder to hide.’
Mark Hallas, Chief Executive at Crimestoppers charity, said: ‘Members of the public are one of our greatest weapons in the fight against crime. Once again we are asking the public to help track down most wanted individuals who are sought in connection with some violent, sexual and highly organised crimes.
‘We’ve always had an overwhelming response to this campaign, to date 84 offenders have been caught across Europe.
‘You can view all the appeals on the most wanted section of Crimestoppers website and if you know anything about the individuals please contact the Crimestoppers charity. No one will ever know who you are, not even us.’
Anyone with information about the whereabouts of a fugitive should can contact Crimestoppers 100% anonymously at crimestoppers-uk.org or call the UK line on 0800 555 111 or in Spain 900 555 111
If sighted, the public are advised not to approach any of the fugitives but to contact the police immediately.
The 11 Fugitives
- Kevin Parle, aged 39, from Liverpool. Nicknamed ‘Hemp’. Parle is wanted for two murders in Liverpool in 2004 and 2005. He is around 6ft 6in and has ginger/red hair.
- John Barton, aged 63, from Nottingham. Convicted in his absence in 2003 and jailed for 20 years for conspiring to import a commercial amount of heroin. Barton, who is about 5ft 6inch, has links to Fuengirola. He speaks with a Midlands accent.
- Allan Foster, aged 43, from South Shields. Wanted for the murder of David Rice at Marsden Bay Car Park, South Shields in May 2006. He is also wanted for drug trafficking and theft. Foster is approximately 5ft 7in tall, uses the alias Shaun Michael Wilkinson and has links to the Canary Islands and Mallorca.
- Shashi Dhar Sahnan, aged 61, from Leicester. Accused of importing heroin into the UK in 2007. He was born in India, wears a hearing aid in his right ear, is approximately 5ft 7in tall and stocky.
- Fatah Benlaredj, aged 42, from Manchester. Wanted for the rape of a seven-year-old girl in 2007. He uses the nickname Samir.
- Derek McGraw Ferguson, aged 56, from Glasgow. Wanted in connection with the murder of Thomas Cameron in June 2007 at the Auchinairn Tavern, Bishopsbriggs near Glasgow. He is bald, has green/blue eyes and is approximately 5ft 1in tall.
- Daniel Dugic, aged 38, from Serbia. Suspected of conspiracy to import 255k of cocaine into the UK with a street value of £53m. Dugic, who is from Serbia, allegedly played a major part in the importation.
- Jonathon Kelly, aged 38, from Drumchapel, Glasgow. Kelly is considered extremely violent and is wanted on recall to prison for serious assaults including paralysing a victim with a machete. He is around 5ft 10in, heavily built, has blue/grey eyes, a Scottish accent and occasionally a beard. He has scars on both sides of his face, his arms and his right hand.
- Sarah Panitzke, aged 45, from Fulford, near York. Wanted by HMRC for fraud, she is accused of laundering approximately £1bn for a crime group involved in VAT fraud. She’s got a Yorkshire accent and is about 5ft 5in tall. Eighteen members of her crime group received sentences totalling 135 years.
- Dominic McInally, aged 28, from Formby, north Liverpool. Wanted by Merseyside Police on suspicion of conspiring to supply cocaine. Alleged leader of a drug trafficking gang that expected to bank £1.25m every month. Described as about 5ft 10in and blond.
- Mark Quinn, aged 55, from Liverpool. Wanted by Police Scotland for alleged involvement in distribution of amphetamine with a street value of £11m. He is around 5ft 9in and has a large build.