19th August 2026
Barcelona NewsCatalonia NewsMadrid NewsMain News

Rescuers find hair of missing toddler in well

Rescuers racing to save a two-year-old boy who fell down a well in southern Spain have found several strands of his hair, authorities said Wednesday, raising hopes of finding the toddler whose fate has gripped the nation for days.

It is the first confirmation that Julen is down the 110-metre deep shaft after family members said he tumbled in on Sunday while playing as his parents had lunch nearby.

‘We found a little hair (in the well) and the DNA tests carried out by the Civil Guard certify that they belong to the child,’ Alfonso Rodriguez Gomez, a government representative of the southwestern region of Andalusia, told news radio Cadena Ser.

The boy’s father Jose said the discovery meant he and Julen’s mother could ‘see a little light’, adding that they felt ‘dead, but with hope for an angel to help us bring him back alive’.

Malaga Fire Brigades
The 12-inch-wide, 360-foot-deep borehole in which a 2-year-old fell down in the town of Totalan in Malaga, southeastern Spain. (Malaga Fire Brigades / Handout)

Firefighters had previously found a bag of sweets in the well, but two cameras lowered into the shaft failed to capture any trace of him.

‘There is hope he’s alive but it diminishes with each passing minute,’ said Miguel Angel Escano, the mayor of Totalan, the closest town to the well.

Rescue teams are digging two tunnels, one parallel to the well and another at an angle aiming to reach where the child is believed to have fallen.

Authorities said the difficult operation in the mountainous area was expected to take between 24 and 48 hours.

The narrow well was bored a month earlier during water prospection works and was not covered or protected, according to local media reports.

Recent Posts

Climate change driving record ocean temperatures around Europe, study finds

News Desk

Spain’s Supreme Court closes loophole over sex changes in gender violence cases

News Desk

Fresh earthquakes shake Granada, injuring three and forcing Alhambra evacuation

News Desk

Thousands remain in Ceuta as Spain moves to expand emergency accommodation

News Desk

Three family members including child killed in Isla Cristina shooting

News Desk

Soldier dies and three injured in accident during battle against major Aragón wildfire

News Desk

Leave a Comment