Three members of the same family, including a child, have been killed after two masked gunmen opened fire in the Huelva (Andalusia) coastal town of Isla Cristina on Sunday night.
The shooting took place in the El Rocío neighbourhood, where two hooded assailants travelling on a motorcycle reportedly opened fire on a woman, her young son and the woman’s mother before fleeing.
All three victims died at the scene. Spanish media have reported that the younger woman was pregnant.
At least one other person was seriously injured in the attack, although reports on Monday differed over the total number of people wounded. One report said two people had been injured, with one taken to hospital in a serious condition.
The Guardia Civil police have launched a major investigation and search operation to identify and locate those responsible, with Local Police also working in the area.
Investigators are examining whether the killings were part of an ongoing feud and could be connected with previous shootings involving rival groups in the Huelva province.
The Guardia Civil said: ‘The initial lines of investigation indicate that it could be a settling of scores between members of different clans, although no hypothesis has been ruled out. The Guardia Civil has activated a large-scale security and search operation to locate the alleged perpetrators.’
A judge has placed the investigation under a secrecy order, restricting the information officials are able to release while inquiries continue.
The victims’ bodies initially remained at the scene pending judicial authorisation for their removal. A number of residents and visitors witnessed the aftermath, and images began circulating on social media before the bodies were covered.
They were subsequently transferred for post-mortem examinations at the Institute of Forensic Medicine in Huelva.
According to Spanish news agencies EFE and Europa Press and local newspaper Huelva Información, investigators are considering a possible connection between Sunday’s killings and a series of violent incidents dating back to a fatal shooting in Huelva city in September 2024.
That attack took place in the El Torrejón neighbourhood and left one person dead and two others injured. The suspected gunman fled but was located and arrested by National Police in Gijón (Asturias), several weeks later.
A succession of shootings followed in the ensuing weeks, reportedly involving reprisals or attempts at intimidation. The violence subsequently extended to Isla Cristina, where relatives of the alleged attacker were said to have sought refuge.
Tensions in the town have resulted in further armed incidents.
In May 2025, the Guardia Civil mounted an operation in Isla Cristina in which three people linked to this environment were arrested over allegations that residents had been threatened with firearms and shots had been fired from rooftops.
Another shooting took place in Isla Cristina in July 2025, leaving a man dead and a woman injured.
Investigators will now seek to establish whether Sunday’s triple killing forms part of the same cycle of violence or has a different motive.
Isla Cristina lies on the Costa de la Luz in western Huelva province, close to Spain’s border with Portugal. The coastal town is both an important fishing port and a popular summer destination known for its beaches.
Enjoying the news from Spain in English? Add us as a preferred news source in Google.
Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.
Tres muertos en un tiroteo, entre ellos un menor, y un herido grave en Isla Cristina https://t.co/HjujOVxNfI
— Diario de Noticias (@NoticiasNavarra) August 17, 2026
🔴ÚLTIMA HORA | La Guardia Civil busca a los autores del tiroteo que deja tres muertos, entre ellos un menor, y un herido grave en Isla Cristina, Huelva.
— Las Mañanas de RNE (@LasMananas_rne) August 17, 2026
Las Mañanas de RNE https://t.co/HABQgJI4Va pic.twitter.com/TuBAojLOzD
Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

