2nd December 2021
La Rambla
Barcelona News Catalonia News Madrid News Main News

Three convicted for Barcelona terror attack – sentences from 8 to 53 years

Spain’s National Court has convicted three men with prison sentence from 8 to 53 years for their role in the Barcelona and Cambrils terror attacks that took place in August 2017, leaving 16 dead and more than 140 people injured.

The court sentenced Mohamed Houli to 53 years and six months, and Driss Oukabir to 46 years in jail for the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils. Said Ben Iazza was sentenced to 8 years for his collaboration with a terrorist organisation.

Most of the casualties took place on Barcelona’s famous La Rambla boulevard on 17 August 2017, after a van was driven at speed by Younes Abouyaaqoub through the middle of the pedestrianised area in the centre of the street. He was shot dead by police four days later.

Younes Abouyaaqoub
Police gather at the site where Younes Abouyaaqoub was shot on 21 August 2017 near Subirats, south of Barcelona, four days after the Barcelona and Cambrils attacks. (AFP / Josep Lago)

The attacks had been orchestrated by a jihadi group based in Ripoll, under the town’s imam Abdelbaki Es Satty, who died with other members in an accidental explosion in an apartment in Alcanar on the eve of the attacks.

Several hours after the attack on La Rambla in Barcelona, five of his accomplices drove into more pedestrians and stabbed a woman who later died of her injuries in Cambrils, a seaside resort 100km to the south. All five were shot dead by police. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the double attack.

The terrorist cell had been planning attacks on a large scale involving explosives, with sites such as the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the football stadium of Barcelona among alleged targets. But the accidental explosion in Alcanar pushed the group to quickly improvise the two attacks in Catalonia.

La Rambla
A policeman stands guard on the Rambla on 18 August 2017, a day after a van ploughed into the crowds. (Javier Soriano / AFP)

The three men convicted on Thursday in Madrid – Mohamed Houli Chemlal, 23, Driss Oukabir, 31, and Said Ben Iazza, 27 – had not been charged with directly participating in the two attacks, but for helping the attackers.

Chemlal and Oukabir had been charged with belonging to a terrorist organisation, with making and possessing explosives and other terrorist materials, and with the conspiracy to wreak havoc. Ben Iazza had been accused of collaborating with a terrorist organisation, as well as lending them his van and ID.

Chemlal and Oukabir were arrested after the attacks and have been in preventive detention since August 2017, while Ben Iazza has been in custody since September 2017.

The Spanish Congress has repeatedly denied an investigation committee on the attacks.

Sign up for the FREE Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.

Please support Spain in English with a donation.

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

Click here for further details on how to ADVERTISE with us.

Recent Posts

Coronavirus in Spain (1 Dec) – incidence rate over 400 in three regions

News Desk

Spotlight: Barcelona opens a new office for welcoming international talent

Features

Spain’s inflation rate soared again in November, the highest for 29 years

Steph Osborn

Spain’s Alexia Putellas wins Ballon d’Or – and Argentine Leo Messi wins his 7th

Sports Desk

Coronavirus in Spain (30 Nov) – incidence rate now over 200

News Desk

Spain’s ‘Covid passport’ requirements – region by region

News Desk

1 comment

Lalabibi 31st May 2021 at 3:22 pm

So the jahadis terrorist are here in Spain. They shouldn’t be allowed in any country, only there own country. They should be locked up for good.

Reply

Leave a Comment