Seven more municipalities to close their borders
The governing council of the Junta de Extremadura has agreed to request judicial authorisation to proceed with the perimeter closures of seven more towns in Extremadura. The towns set to close are: Aceituna, Arroyo de la Luz, Madrigalejo, Guadalupe, Hornachos, Los Santos de Maimona and Siruela. All have shown an increase in Covid-19 cases which are expected to rise in the coming days.
- Aceituna has 23 active cases as well as 58 close contacts with those infected. It has a cumulative incidence rate of 5,601 at 14 days and 4,612 at 7 days per 100,000 inhabitants.
- Arroyo de la Luz has 41 active cases and 155 close contacts. Incidence rate at 14 days is 843 and 447 at 7 days.
- Madrigalejo has 12 active cases and 42 close contacts. Incidence rate at 14 days is 1,199 and 1,085 at 7 days.
- Guadeloupe has 14 active cases and 56 close contacts. Incidence rate at 14 days is 1,235 and 1,020 at 7 days.
- Hornachos has 27 active cases and 97 close contacts. Incidence rate at 14 days is 890 and 472 at 7 days.
- Los Santos Maimona has 62 active cases and 235 close contacts. Incidence rate at 14 days is 741 and 420 at 7 days.
- Siruela has 12 active cases and 29 close contacts. Incidence rate at 14 days is 788 and 367 at 7 days.
The perimeters of these towns will be closed for a duration of 14 days, and subject to review after 7 days once authorised by the Superior Court of Justice of Extremadura.
Providing these closures are authorised, these 7 municipalities will join the 17 others that are already under such restrictions, which are: Cabezuela del Valle, Almoharín, Ceclavín, Puebla de Sancho Pérez, Puebla de la Calzada, Talavera la Real, Calamonte, Castuera, Guareña, Montehermoso, Trujillo, Jaraíz de la Vera, Villafranca, Valverde de Leganés, Salvatierra de los Barros, Barcarrota and Valdelacalzada.
30 year old man dies of Covid-19 in Badajoz
A man of 30 years old died on Sunday in Badajoz from Covid-19 at the University Hospital of Badajoz. The news was confirmed by the Extremadura Health Service (SES).
Beforehand, the last two deaths reported were of two women, aged 101 and 90 years old.
Extremadura has not seen the death of person so young since that of a 27-year-old man who died over a year ago in April 2020, also in Badajoz. In February this year, a 32-year-old man from Montijo died after contracting the virus.
The SES have been warning that the average age of people hospitalised after contracting the virus has dropped significantly compared to what it was during previous outbreaks. Currently, the average age of patients in intensive care is 43 years old. Click here for all reports on Coronavirus in Spain.
Adriana Rogan to headline Extremareggae festival in Badajoz
Malaga-born Adriana Rogan, and the Cape Verdean band Rubera Roots, will headline the first edition of the Extremareggae Festival which kicks off this Saturday 31 July at the López de Ayala Theatre in Badajoz.
The event, which will be the first of many, aims to become an annual meeting point for African, Portuguese and Spanish reggae musicians and fans.
The main act, Adriana Rogan, is most known for having partcipated in La Voz, as well as having reached the final of Operación Triunfo. Rubera Roots are a prominent group in the Portuguese reggae scene.
Ticktes will be 15 euros and the capacity will be limited to 50% with all the security measures in place due to Covid-19.
Click here for our ‘Extremadura in English’ home page.
If you’d like to contribute to our new section on Extremadura, please email: email@example.com