17th February 2026
Barcelona NewsCatalonia NewsMadrid NewsMain News

Pedro Sánchez vows to boost Spain’s defence without affecting welfare spend

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez pledged on Wednesday to introduce a national strategy aimed at strengthening Spain’s defence industry, as Europe contends with a more aggressive Russia and uncertainties surrounding US security commitments.

US President Donald Trump has intensified calls for the European Union to enhance its military capabilities, raising doubts about Washington’s role within NATO and signalling a more conciliatory approach towards Russia regarding Ukraine. ALSO READ: EU leaders commit to strengthening military power after Trump signals that Europe must defend itself.

‘The government will launch a major national plan before the summer for the development and promotion of Spanish security and defence technology and industry,’ Sánchez said, during a debate in the Spanish Congress.

According to NATO data, Spain allocated 1.28% of its GDP to defence last year – significantly below the alliance’s 2% target and the lowest among member states. ALSO READ: Trump mistakes Spain for a ‘BRICS’ nation and threatens 100% tariffs.

Although Sánchez has committed to accelerating the timeline for reaching the 2% benchmark ahead of the original 2029 goal, he provided little clarity on the exact schedule during his address to parliament.

The socialist (PSOE) leader indicated that the forthcoming defence strategy would take inspiration from the EU’s post-Covid recovery plan, which was financed through joint borrowing. However, he did not disclose further details.

Domestically, his minority coalition government faces resistance from left-wing allies who worry that boosting military expenditure could come at the cost of social welfare programmes. ALSO READ: Spain’s promise to EU allies to spend more on defence faces resistance at home.

‘There will be no detriment to the welfare state; we will not touch a cent of social spending,’ Sánchez assured his critics.

Alberto Núñez Feijóo, leader of the main right-wing opposition People’s Party (PP), criticised the prime minister for the lack of concrete details.

‘What will the deadlines be? How much will we spend each year? Where will this money come from?’ Feijóo said. ALSO READ: ‘EU faces clear & present danger’, as it unveils €800 billion plan to ‘ReArm Europe’.

ALSO READ: Keir Starmer hosts world leaders in London to get Ukraine peace talks back on track.

ALSO READ: Western leaders visit Ukraine to show their support on war’s 3rd anniversary.

Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.

Please support Spain in English with a donation.

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

Click here for further details on how to ADVERTISE with us.

 

Recent Posts

Apartment building fire in Catalonia kills 5 young people and injures another 5

News Desk

Spanish government pledges €23bn for ‘Spain is growing’ fund to help tackle housing crisis

News Desk

Spain approves 3.1% minimum wage rise to €1,221 per month, over 14 payslips

News Desk

Spanish doctors begin first week of strikes against ministry’s reform, calling for profession-specific rules

News Desk

Sánchez at Munich security conference: EU must strengthen its defence, but ‘nuclear rearmament not the way’

News Desk

Rubio says US and Europe ‘belong together’, but warns immigration is ‘destabilising societies’

News Desk

Leave a Comment