17th February 2026
Barcelona NewsCatalonia NewsMadrid NewsMain News

US considers action against Spanish-flagged vessels after Spain blocks Israel arms cargo

Another point of tension has emerged in the already strained relationship between US President Donald Trump’s administration and the Spanish government led by Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez.

On Friday, the United States Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) announced that it is considering barring Spanish-flagged vessels from US ports as part of an ongoing investigation into Spain’s decision to deny port access to US cargo ships transporting weapons bound for Israel. Those vessels were prevented from docking at the port of Algeciras, in the southern province of Cádiz (Andalusia).

In a statement, the FMC said it is weighing several possible responses, including ‘cargo restrictions, denial of entry to ships operating under the Spanish flag, or the imposition of fines’ of up to $2.3 million per voyage for Spanish-flagged ships. ALSO READ: Barcelona court investigates two ship captains over alleged role in arms shipments to Israel.

The commission stressed, however, that no decision has yet been made and that it ‘will carefully evaluate the evidence and all relevant considerations’ before taking any action. ALSO READ: Trump suggests Spain should be ‘thrown out’ of NATO due to low defence spend.

US officials argue that the Spanish government has denied direct access to at least three US vessels, including vessels operated under the US maritime security programme, back in November 2024. The Trump administration has underlined that ‘the policy motivating such denials remains in force’.

As part of its inquiry into the potential effects on US foreign commerce, the FMC has sought further input from shipping companies, traders and other stakeholders regarding ‘Spain’s current policy of denying or refusing access to ports to certain vessels carrying cargo to or from Israel, the measures it has taken to implement this policy and the impact on shipping conditions’.

Based on information gathered so far, the FMC considers that the rules enforced by Spanish authorities may be creating ‘general or special conditions unfavourable to maritime transport in US foreign trade’. For that reason, it says it ‘must examine’ which ‘corrective measures might be appropriate to address those conditions’.

ALSO READ: Trump tells Sánchez he’s doing a ‘fantastic job’ – days after suggesting Spain should be thrown out of NATO.

Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.

Subscription Supporter Banner

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

Click here for further details on how to ADVERTISE with us.

Recent Posts

Spanish government pledges €23bn for ‘Spain is growing’ fund to help tackle housing crisis

News Desk

Spain approves 3.1% minimum wage rise to €1,221 per month, over 14 payslips

News Desk

Spanish doctors begin first week of strikes against ministry’s reform, calling for profession-specific rules

News Desk

Sánchez at Munich security conference: EU must strengthen its defence, but ‘nuclear rearmament not the way’

News Desk

Rubio says US and Europe ‘belong together’, but warns immigration is ‘destabilising societies’

News Desk

African swine fever spreads outside the ‘high risk’ containment zone in Catalonia

News Desk

Leave a Comment