17th February 2026
Barcelona NewsBusinessCatalonia NewsEconomy & EmploymentMadrid NewsMain News

Bank of Spain downgrades country’s GDP growth due to US tariffs uncertainty

Uncertainty from US President Donald Trump’s tariffs, and the risk that they result in a global slowdown, has forced Spain’s central bank to downgrade its 2025 economic growth forecast.

It has predicted that Spain – the eurozone’s fourth-largest economy – will now grow 2.4% this year, down from a previous forecast of 2.7%.

A 90-day pause on tariffs announced by the EU and the US is slated to end on 14 July. About halfway through that grace period, Trump announced 50% tariffs on steel imports. The US has also enacted a 25% tariff on vehicles and 10% so-called reciprocal tariffs on most other goods. ALSO READ: Trump and Von der Leyen agree 9 July deadline to reach US-EU tariff deal after 50% threat.

The Bank of Spain said in a statement that a ‘small slowdown in the pace of GDP growth’ was expected over the second half of 2025. It also lowered its 2026 forecast from 1.9% to 1.8%.

The recalculations were due to ‘heightened uncertainty’ for the world economy, the bank said.

Markets ‘remain very vulnerable to possible negative disruptions that could arrive in coming weeks’, it said, noting that dipping confidence would likely have ‘a negative impact on consumption’.

While the Bank of Spain said that negotiations the United States was holding with major trading partners held out hope of ‘de-escalation’, it did not rule out ‘an intensification of the trade war’.

In its own forecasts given at the end of last year — before Trump took office and subsequently announced the higher US tariffs — the European Commission forecast 2.6% growth for Spain this year.

On the possibility of more US tariffs on EU goods, Spain’s Economy Minister Carlos Cuerpo said in an interview with the Press Association on Tuesday that he believed the EU still wanted to reinforce economic ties with the US

‘From the EU side, we are constructive but we are not naive,’ Cuerpo said, adding that the bloc would pursue ‘other routes protecting our firms and industries’ if no agreement with the Trump administration can be reached.

Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.

Subscription Supporter Banner

 

 

 

 

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

Click here for further details on how to ADVERTISE with us.

Recent Posts

Apartment building fire in Catalonia kills 5 young people and injures another 5

News Desk

Spanish government pledges €23bn for ‘Spain is growing’ fund to help tackle housing crisis

News Desk

Spain approves 3.1% minimum wage rise to €1,221 per month, over 14 payslips

News Desk

Spanish doctors begin first week of strikes against ministry’s reform, calling for profession-specific rules

News Desk

Sánchez at Munich security conference: EU must strengthen its defence, but ‘nuclear rearmament not the way’

News Desk

Rubio says US and Europe ‘belong together’, but warns immigration is ‘destabilising societies’

News Desk

Leave a Comment