17th February 2026
Andalusia NewsBarcelona NewsCatalonia NewsExtremadura NewsMadrid NewsMain News

Spanish government rules out that a cyberattack caused nationwide blackout

Click here to read all our reports related to Spain’s blackout.

The Spanish government said on Wednesday that it had ruled out a cyberattack on the national electricity grid operator as the source of the massive and mysterious power outage that hit the Iberian Peninsula late last month.

More than two weeks after the 28 April blackout disrupted telecommunications, halted transportation, and plunged cities into darkness across Spain and Portugal, authorities are still working to determine its cause. ALSO READ: Pedro Sánchez calls for patience as the investigation into cause of blackout continues.

The national grid operator, Red Eléctrica, confirmed that it had found no signs of a ‘cybersecurity incident’ during the disruption. This comes after the government had initially kept all possibilities open. ALSO READ: Spain’s high court to open investigation as to possible cyberattack, as business sector counts cost.

‘After analysing all the relevant data, we have not found indications that the system operator was targeted by a cyberattack,’ Ecological Transition Minister Sara Aagesen (main image) told the Spanish Congress

In her address, Aagesen outlined a detailed timeline, noting that two major power fluctuations occurred within 30 minutes before the grid failure at 12.33 pm.

She identified the precise locations of three key incidents that contributed to the blackout — substations in the southern provinces of Granada and Seville in Andalusia, and Badajoz in Extremadura

According to Aagesen, authorities are now working through hundreds of millions of data points gathered from Red Eléctrica and power companies to assess whether the fluctuations are connected to the widespread outage.

She also responded sharply to criticism from the right-wing and far-right opposition parties, who have blamed the government’s focus on renewable energy and its intent to phase out nuclear power. ALSO READ: Spain’s opposition parties blame PM’s renewable energy policies for blackout.

The inquiry into the blackout ‘will last as long as necessary’ and ‘we will not allow hastiness to take us away from the truth’, Aagesen said.

Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter from Spain in English.

Subscription Supporter Banner

 

 

 

Please support Spain in English with a donation.

Click here to get your business activity or services listed on our DIRECTORY.

Click here for further details on how to ADVERTISE with us.

Recent Posts

Apartment building fire in Catalonia kills 5 young people and injures another 5

News Desk

Spanish government pledges €23bn for ‘Spain is growing’ fund to help tackle housing crisis

News Desk

Spain approves 3.1% minimum wage rise to €1,221 per month, over 14 payslips

News Desk

Spanish doctors begin first week of strikes against ministry’s reform, calling for profession-specific rules

News Desk

Sánchez at Munich security conference: EU must strengthen its defence, but ‘nuclear rearmament not the way’

News Desk

Rubio says US and Europe ‘belong together’, but warns immigration is ‘destabilising societies’

News Desk

Leave a Comment